Wednesday, July 8, 2009

swine flu, end of school

end of the year dinner with our coworkers--upscale hotpot








lots of giggling...



Alice, one of my first graders



bobby, 3rd grade.  i feel like this picture captures his personality pretty well. 




Spring (Chun Tian/ 春天), 3rd grade
(I never learned most of my students' real names which is kind of a shame, but they only went by their English names in my class.  This was an easy one though since chun tian actually means spring.)



Leela, one of my favorite 3rd graders



Last week we went into teach our usual half day on Friday and were told when we got there that school was canceled.  The children were in their dorms and waiting for their parents to come pick them up.  We were still supposed to have 4 more days the next week to do all the end-of-the-year stuff... some contests, a party, a movie, etc. not to mention just having a chance to say goodbye to the kids.  I guess a case of the swine flu broke out in a school on the other side of Beijing and 8 kids were infected, so they closed most of the schools in the city.  I was able to go find the kids in their dormitory and tell them goodbye quickly there, but it was a strange ending to the school year.  I'll post a few photos of our students. 



aaron's first grade




saying goodbye to our empty office

No comments: